Dental implants are the best option for replacing missing teeth because they are stronger than natural teeth, usually permanent, don't get cavities and are the most natural replacement regarding function and cosmetics.
The advantages of dental implants over more conventional therapies are the following:
- Less invasive-no cutting down of adjacent teeth for a bridge
- Stronger-research shows dental implants to be up to eight times stronger than teeth
- Cosmetic-they look just like teeth giving a natural appearance to you smile.
- Less expensive-dental implants 20 year survival rates have been shown to be greater than 98%. Therefore, they are many times a one-time therapy and don't need to be replaced like conventional crown and bridge due to cavities (expected life span is 12 years for crown and bridge)
- No cavities
- Very functional-there are little to no diet restrictions with dental implants.
What is a Dental Implant?
Dental implants are referred to a a substitute tooth roots or root replacements used to replace missing teeth. Dental implants are used for upper and lower teeth. They are placed within the bone and heal over a period of months to which then a crown is made and attached. Dental Implants are made of the same biologically-compatible materials that artificial knees, hips, or other prosthetic appliances are made. After the implant is placed, a period of time (usually 2-4 months) is required for it to fuse to the surrounding tissue and become anchored. A customized crown is then fabricated and attached to the implant.
Dental implants have been used for several decades. They are now considered standard of care for replacing missing teeth. Patients of all ages have chosen dental implants to replace single or multiple teeth or even support dentures. Dental implants give full function and support as natural teeth and are much stronger than natural or existing teeth. They are made of titanium and are compatible with the human body.
What are some benefits of Dental Implants?
Dental implants feel and function like natural teeth. The result is increased comfort and confidence when smiling, speaking and eating to your quality of life is significant. Enjoy the ability to eat all types of foods, elimination of messy adhesives, improved speech, comfort and appearance.
- Preserves integrity of facial structures to prevent pre-mature wrinkling of the face.
- Better health due to proper nutrition and digestion of food.
- Adjacent teeth are not compromised to replace missing teeth and dental implants. Tooth replacement with traditional bridges require grinding down teeth adjacent to the missing tooth and cementing a bridge. Subsequently, decay of those teeth and fractures of teeth become a problem in the future of those adjacent teeth. Bridges need to be replaced often due to dental caries and periodontal problems arise because cleaning under the bridge becomes difficult
- Convenience of hygiene. Taking care of dental implants is the same as natural teeth. Brushing and flossing are necessary to keep them healthy.
- Increased stability and sense of security that teeth will not fall out when eating, laughing or sneezing.
- Improved ability to taste foods. Wearing an upper denture prevents someone from tasting food because the roof of the mouth is covered. With dental implants the roof of the mouth is not covered so it is possible to enjoy the taste of foods.